Image Map

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Things You Shouldn't Leave At The Office.

Just this afternoon I arrived home from a day in San Francisco. A group of us traveled there on the prowl for great new flavors and ate at seven restaurants in just under six hours. It was not for the weak-of-stomach.

Before I left for this trip, I left my power cord at the office. While traveling, I stopped at two airport stores and even left a restaurant on the culinary tour to run across the street to a RadioShack (who knew those still exist?) to find a charge. Alas, Microsoft does not supply their cord to just any retailer so for 36 hours, I rationed my power like it was butter and WWII was raging.

A power cord sure is an annoying thing to leave at the office.

You know what else is? YOUR KIDS.

While I was away my husband managed (ie: parented) our children on his own. I arrived home much sooner than expected because another ice storm is upon Dallas and we moved our flight to a ridiculously early morning hour to beat it home.

Back in Dallas, I had time to go to the office, grab my power cord, check on a few things and then head home to see all my boys.

A few days a week, our little guys attend school at my husband's office. It's super convenient and has lots of perks since the parents are always milling around and can pop in at any time to see what's happening. Today was a school day.

At home, I puttered around waiting for them to arrive from work/school and assumed it was taking a bit longer because the storm was starting to whip up. I heard the garage door open and ran over to give my three-year-old a big hug. My husband walked in and my face dropped a little bit. I love him, but I wanted a three-year-old hug and squeal. I quickly there were no screams of, "Mommy! Mommy!" and no accompanying scamper.

"Where are they? Did you leave them in the car?" I asked.

My husband's face dropped and he said, "Oh my God. I left them at school."

I laughed and shoved around him to go get them out of the car.

"No, I'm serious," he said, "I totally forgot. I thought they were here with the nanny. This is my worst nightmare. Oh. My. God?"

"GO GET THEM NOW!" I screamed and off he went.

I'm not mad at my poor husband, who feels terribly guilty about the whole fiasco. In fact, I feel bad for him. As a mom, I know where my children are the same way I know when I'm hungry. It's just part of me. How do dads parent without the ability to feel their child like he or she is an extra appendage?

Bless all their hearts. And when you, Mom, are running through the streets of San Francisco, seeking out a power cord, remember that your children are a much, MUCH worse thing to leave back at the office.

6 comments:

  1. hahah oh my gosh, so funny. Luckily they were somewhere safe and easy to retrieve. Poor guy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, everyone is safe and sounds and boys are none the wiser.

      Delete
  2. Oh that made me laugh 😂😂 I did love the bit about them being an extra appendage it's so true! In your husbands defense I got home one day and I had forgotten to pick up molly from care. My husband does pick up and I forgot he had asked me to do it. I was five mins from my door when I realised and had to go tearing back in the other direction!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man. You make my day with your posts. Thanks for the laugh. Mine would do this too. He forgot my son in the car when he went into the grocery store (it was fall and not hot out). Cooper was asleep the whole time, but he forgot he was in the car! WTF. I could never. I was actually pretty pissed but he felt so bad I didn't have the heart to yell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly how I felt. There should be a "Daddy, do you have the kids?" alarm/app.

      Delete